Sunday, February 27, 2011

Jesus Moments at Lake J.

I would like for the record to show that it is February 27th, and it is SEVENTY-NINE DEGREES OUTSIDE. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!
I decided it was too gorgeous to stay inside, so after a beautiful lunch with my Haley at Neomonde, a fantastic Lebanese restaurant across from Meredith College, I grabbed the puppy and went for a walk.
We walked from my house to Lake Johnson. I could not stop basking in the glory of the day! The sky was the perfect color blue, it was perfectly warm outside and the sun was out!

When Milley and I got to Lake Johnson, we went down the water to let her splash around a bit. She decided she would rather lay in the pinestraw in the shade, so we did for a few minutes. I had my iPod in and was listening to Hillsong United, praising my Jesus in my heart for His goodness. While Milley and I were resting, this little girl, I would say about 8, came up and said something to me. Having my iPod in, I had to ask her to repeat it.

"May I have permission to love your puppy, please?" her little voice squeaked.

"Absolutely, sugar! She loves people. Her name is Milley," I replied.
Sweet Little Girl began to rub Milley and talk about how good she was, how gentle she was, how kind she was.
"She's so soft!" Sweet Little Girl squealed. "Can my brother pet her?"
"Of course."
"Stay here, please. I am going to go get him."

Sweet Little Girl comes back, holding her brother's hand, once again talking about how nice Milley is. "She won't bite you, she's gentle. She loves people!"

Sweet Little Girl and Her Brother stay for a few more minutes rubbing on Milley. In the mean time, a couple of other children come up and begin to love my puppy. Milley was in heaven.

As all good things tend to do, the Milley-love-fest ended and the children went back to playing. Milley and I stood up and headed towards the road so we could make the 1.4 mile trip back to the apartment.
While we were walking, it hit me. That little episode with this little girl and Milley is the perfect representation of my Jesus...



We walk up to Him, not knowing why we are drawn to Him, we just know that we are. Timidly we ask if we may sit down beside Him and be His friend. Because He loves us so much and His attention is always on us, He never has to ask us to repeat this request; He is listening for it all the time. Those are the words He most wants to hear.
He invites us to sit down with Him and stay awhile. We soon realize that He is loving, and gentle, and good, and kind, and sweet. We've never met anyone like this before and we want to bring out friends to meet Him too.
"Stay please! Stay where I can find you again!" we plead. Smiling, He stays, wanting nothing more than to have us close to Him again.
We bring friends to Him, knowing that He will be kind to them too. Soon our friends realize all of the wonderful attributes of Him that we have. As we sit there and love him, more and more people see this and come to be apart of it. He just sits there, soaking up every minute of this love and attention.


Milley and I were walking back to the house and I realized that about a block from our house, someone had let a fire hydrant run wild. Water was going everywhere. You could see it, smell it, hear it...it was everywhere. I knew the exact moment that Milley realized that we were walking into this scenario. She perked up and started walking really fast and determined. She was going to lap up some of that water and nothing could stop her. When we got to the intersection of the rapids, she looked around, looking for the perfect spot for her drinking. When she found it, she shot across the road and settled herself in for a drink. She's an old dog, but she's determined.

Once again, I was reminded of my Jesus.


When we get a glimpse of His majesty, we want more. When we get a wiff of His scent, we want to breathe it in. When we see a piece of Him, we want all of it. That desire for Him never goes away. We run as fast as we can so we can be in His arms as soon as we can. When we are finally there in His arms, we do cartwheels, we swim in them, we cannot contain our joy because it is everything we have ever wanted.

John 4:10
"Jesus answered her, 'If you knew the gift of God and who it is that sks you for a drink, you would hav easked him and he would have given you living water.'"
Revelation 7:17 "For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; 'he will lead them to springs of living water.' 'And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.'"
John 7:38 "Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them."
I have tasted this Living Water and I have been satisfied. I am satisfied daily by a Savior who is sustaining me, even though most days I feel like th eworld is falling out from underneath. He is good and His mercies endure forever.

1 comment:

  1. Rebekah! I love this! I cannot even count the number of Jesus moments I have had at that lake. You are a great writer I am so glad I found your blog :)

    Anne
    lovelymissanne.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete