Sunday, October 6, 2013

90DoOD: Day 8.

Day: Eight.

Current Mood for Online Dating: Meh. Eh. Whatevs. It is what it is. Weekends are typically slow in the online dating world.

Online Dating Interaction: Minimal. A few creepers asking "how r u" and that kind of thing. I feel like I've become an artist at blowing guys off, is that bad? I think it's bad. Oh, well.

The guy I mentioned in the previous post still has my number and is using it. Insert small, girly squeal here.

He travels for work and turns those trips into a bit of pleasure as well -- eating at local restaurants, doing some hiking, seeing long-lost friends in the area, etc. He's consulting this weekend so the talking has been minimal. But I like that he can hold a conversation.

Brownie points to him for this: being able to handle my independence. I traveled all weekend to help with a best friend's proposal and then I had a wedding on Saturday an hour away and a wedding on Sunday two hours away from the other wedding. I've met guys before who would take a step like mentioning a meet-up for coffee or a beverage. I would excitedly text/reply back with a "Yes! That sounds great, but it'll have to be next week. I'm out of town this weekend." These guys were not thrilled about my schedule. "Why can't you move something around?" "Don't you want to see this go somewhere?" "If you're too busy for a relationship, why are you even talking to me?"

Whoa, homeskillet. Calm that down. Just because I'm busy the day you asked doesn't mean I'm busy forever. I can't move something around because I'm a loyal human being who loves her friends and I look forward to our time together. Sorry they asked first. And I'm not too busy for a relationship; I have excellent time management skills that allow me to have a fulfilling life with a career that fulfills me, a family that I adore, and friends who make me laugh. A relationship is just another piece to the puzzle.

This guy, however, did not react that way when I mentioned my busy but wonderful weekend. His reaction? "That sounds awesome! How do you know the brides/grooms?" "You're seeing friends you haven't seen in years, I'm glad it worked out that you could go!" 

'Atta boy. 

I have chosen an online name for him. Aaron. This isn't his real name, and as far as I know, has nothing to do with his actual name. Should this "flirtationship," as my students would say, go anywhere, I'll kindly ask permission to use his name and share it with you. Until then, it's Aaron. 

Unsolicited Advice for the Gents: Let a girl live her life the way that she wishes. If she wants you, she'll make time for you. If she doesn't make time for you, take it as a sign. Always ask for a date once more after she says she's too busy the first time.

Unsolicited Advice for the Ladies: If you're busy the first time he asks, come up with an alternate plan. "Thank you so much for asking me, but I already have plans with my BFF that night. How does Saturday night sound instead?" That shows him you're interested and the cute boy will hang around a little bit longer.

Real Life Interaction of the Day: This weekend was fabulous. One of my best friends got engaged via flashmob in Downtown Raleigh on the Boyland Street Bridge. We literally shut down the street and enchanted her with our dance routine. Her boyfriend got down on one knee, popped the question, and she answered with a resounding "YES."

On Saturday, one of the greatest blessings of my life said "I do" to the love of her life. MJ and I worked at the same school together a few years ago. She, along with the other three women who made up our grade-level team, got me through a very difficult time in my life, personally and professionally. I loved spending the afternoon with her and the other ladies from the school. We owned the dance floor after she tearfully recited her vows. She also finally introduced me to her hubby. It's been a joke recently that her family/fiance don't think that I exist. She tells stories about me, but none of them can confim that I'm real. When I walked into her bridal shower, her mom asked for some ID to prove that I really am who I said I was. Her husband did the same thing on Saturday. We all danced the night away and sent MJ and her hubby off to their honeymoon in a cloud of sparklers and smoke.

Sunday night was also spent at a wedding. My college friend, Charles, tied the knot. I haven't seen Charles or his fiance for a couple of years, and it was wonderful to catch up with them. The group of friends that I hung out with my freshman year in college were in attendance, and with adulthood having become the norm for all of us, we haven't sat down together in a while. Sunday was a sweet break from reality and a good time to catch-up and fill each other in on our lives.


1 comment: