Wednesday, October 2, 2013

90 Days of Online Dating: Day 3

Day: Three!

Mood About Online Dating: Indifferent, giddy at moments.

Online interaction of the day:
Two "hey" emails from guys that I probably wouldn't give a second glance to in real life. However, per the rules of this project, I sent them each a "hey" back.

I signed up for the online dating site a week ago so that I could go ahead and set up my profile and start to get the feel of the site before this whole thing became a thing. Almost immediately, I got an email from a guy. It does a girl's ego good, I can't even lie. He introduced himself and asked if I would like to get to know him better. Turns out, that wasn't a question to which he wanted a genuine answer.

His two greatest flaws: he's two years younger than I am and he lives in South Carolina.
The reason these are problems: I don't date younger guys. I've dated a guy who was three months younger than me and I've dated a guy a year younger than me. Both of these ended disastrously. My biggest problem with dating younger guys is that most of them are not in the same stage of life that I am: career, house, etc.
His profile alerted me that he was still a student (hence the stage of life thing) and that according to the interests that were important enough to put on his profile, we would have nothing to talk about.

I returned his email thanking him for the compliment that he had given me -- nice smile, or something equally as generic -- and told him to have a good day. Clearly, this was a brush-off.

Homeslice didn't get it.

He sent back another email asking more specific questions about my job and my hobbies.

I replied that while I was flattered, he should know that I didn't date younger guys or  do long-distance relationships. Again, I bid him a lovely afternoon.

My email soon alerted me to a new message: "Oh, c'mon, give me a chance. I could surprise you!"

My thoughts: Sweetheart, it's nothing against you. I could possibly look over the age difference for a coffee date if you didn't live across a state line. I repeated this sentiment in an email back to him.

My phone beeped once again, displaying his username and picture.

"Wow. Definitely narrow minded so you have a great day to"

Don't even get me started on the grammar errors in that sentence.

Unsolicited Advice for the Gents: When a girl says she's done, she means it. Girls don't take break-ups lightly. We've all been through a few that left some marks and we don't take the possibility of a broken heart as a joke. Attempting to "win her back" will only work one out of every twenty times. So feel free to try it. Once. After that, keep your dignity and move on.

Real-Life Interactions for the Day: A typical day at school. Some kids were good, some kids weren't. However, I grow more and more thankful for my new school every day.

See y'all Friday!

2 comments:

  1. okay, already LOVING this series. Valid point about the long distance thing - it's doable when you've been together for a bit, but is a hard way to get to know someone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I hated that ..
    "Hmm, he's ok.."
    *scrolls*
    "Ooh... 26, engineer..."
    *scrolls*
    ".....Wichita, Kansas"
    *sigh*

    .. Next. haha

    ReplyDelete