Wednesday, October 13, 2010

PSAT

I'm currently sitting in my "next door neighbor's" classroom proctoring the PSAT. Thrilling, I know. Although I'm incredibly glad high school is over anyhow, just sitting in this room with all of the tangible stress just gives me one more reason to be glad to have "been there, done that, bought the tshirt."
I keep saying that my next blog entry will have pictures, but most of my updates come from my school computer, and therefore, I don't have any pictures with me to upload. My internet has had a mind of it's own recently in my townhouse so I can't exactly trust it to deal with my precious pictures. Maybe someday...
Student teaching is still going well. I have taken over both of my freshman English classes right now, and I pick up the African American Lit class on Monday. That will make me full time. Eek! It's exciting and exhausting all in one.
I had a very interesting event happen with a student yesterday...I can't go into specifics, but let's say I might end up testifying soon. Whoo hoo. Other than that, I love my kids. I really do. I am beyond blessed to be at Garner. As much crap as my East Wake folks give me about being here, it's totally worth it. I've even told my principal that if he can get me a job here, I'll sign a Letter of Intent right now.
A few stories that I wanted to share:
Yesterday, after The Event with one of my students, I came back into the classroom and asked my kids, "Why do I want to be a teacher again?" All of them had some smart comment or another about 'because you get to have ME!' or something like that. A few of them came up and gave me a hug. One girl even said something to the effect of: "Miss Sanderson, does Mrs. Byrnes ever have to come back? Or can you just stay with us?" Cute little munchkins.
Another girl had an epiphany:
"Miss Sanderson! You're not really a teacher right?"
"Well, honey, I'm your teacher, but no I don't have my certification yet, no."
"So, that means that you're still looking for a real job?"
"Yes, love."
"You should get a job here! And then, since we're freshman, you can have us again! And we'll be just like the Freedom Writers!"
As cute as this was, I immediately began thinking about how I would have to plan new units every. single. summer. for the kids in order to stay with them throughout their careers. Don't get me wrong, I'd do it because I adore them, but heavens. That's a lot of work.
I'm missing my LTN girls like WHOA every single day. To go from this fabulous community every day, all day, to being by myself, it's no fun. I just wish that we were together for moral support or something. We still have our PR dates on Fridays, but Fridays are so incredibly far apart. If any of you are reading this, I love you, I miss you and I can't wait to see you soon :)
I had dinner with Whitney Ledford last night. We ate some fabulous (and cheap!) Mexican food and told all of our crazy children stories. While I've been having kids propose to me, she's been lighting her projector on fire. No big deal. It was so good to hear stories that I am actually going to make it through this insanity.
That's pretty much my life in a nutshell.
My next post will have pictures.
Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment