Tuesday, January 3, 2012

January 3, 2012 {dinner with megan and roomie shout-out}

Today, I sped home--as fast as Outer Beltline rush hour traffic would let me--walked in my door, slammed said door, and then yelled to my roommates that "I hate my job."

The statement is not exactly true. I have the world's best students. But, I hate the politics that come along with teaching. I get that I work for the government...but leave me alone and let me do my job. Please and thank you.

Anyhow, I promptly texted one of my best friends, Megan, and begged for dinner out so that I could unload all of my teacher woes on to a fellow teacher and have some sympathy from another of the species. Being the beautiful, kind-hearted friend that she is, she met me a few hours later and let me unload.

When I say "unload" I mean "dump all of my crazy crap onto her lap with lots of gesticulating and sarcasm." Megan's good at taking my sass. She has been for a few years.

I remember the first time I had a conversation with Megan. It was during one of the many classes that we had together at NC State and she had to peer-edit my paper. Megan was the first person in the history of the world to give me legitimate and honest feedback on my writing. Most people just nod and call it a day. Megan bled all over my paper and then some. At first I was flabbergasted that someone didn't think that I was the next great American novelist...but then I realized that she was absolutely right about everything she said and she made me a better writer.

Now, three years later, I'm sure she would still be make me a better writer, but more importantly, she's making me a better person. Just by being there.

Megan and I ate some delicious pasta at Noodles & Co. and talked about life, our students, and our crazy co-workers for the next two hours.

This little piece of my blog is dedicated to my sweet friend who rarely arrives anywhere on time, was born a Yank but is a Southerner at heart, and who is truly a blessing in my life.

I took the liberty of giving Megan some love one night at the PR (a common hang-out for us LTN girls). This is one of my favorite pictures of all time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was just going to give the blog post to Megan and call it a night, but I truly cannot dismiss the godsends that are my roommates.

After I ran into my house this afternoon and declared my unhappiness to all that could hear, I then did a fabulous rendition of "Hell Hath No Fury Like Rebekah" to Ava Michelle and Jamie.

After pacing around the house and huffing loudly to attempt to discharge all of my angst, I decided I needed to bake. Baking takes all of the woes out of life and turns the troubles into edible pieces of heaven.

Cookie Dough Truffles were the cure for this round of sorrows.

Except that I was out of ONE ingredient.

I couldn't run to the store because I had to meet Megan for dinner.

I exhaled even louder to attempt to purge this new misfortune and my roommates were alerted of the new evil in my life.

Jamie promptly arrived at my side with a piece of Godiva. If I couldn't make my own piece of heaven, certainly a piece of mass-manufacteured chocolate would do the trick!

Ava Michelle called Alecia and mentioned my anguish and Alecia stopped at the nearby Food Lion to get me a can of sweetened condensened milk.

When Alecia came home and handed me the small, Eagle Brand can, I let out a yelp and sent up a prayer of thanks for these sweet girls.

We proceeded to dance in the kitchen and tell stories and laugh and then eventually dove into the mouth-watering morsels of butter and chocolate...a girl's two best (culinary) friends.


Note: Kimberly, come home soon :)

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I re-read this when I need a pick-me-up. You colored me so beautifully.
    Miss you in my life, Rebekah.

    ReplyDelete