Thursday, October 11, 2012

Poor Girl's Heat

I turned off my air conditioning about a month ago because it was simply too expensive. I have ceiling fans in most rooms in my house so I keep those going 24/7 so I am normally fine, temperature-wise. I was so excited that my electricity was almost cut in half by this simple adjustment this month. Growing up is fun...until the bills start to arrive.

Now that North Carolina seems to have skipped straight from summer's overwhelming humidity to winter's bitter frost, my internal thermometer is unable to completely deal with these kinds of changes. I have been wrapping up in blankets and sweatshirts to beat the chill in the air, but this morning, I just couldn't take it.

As I was getting ready for my day, I couldn't stop shivering from head to toe. My teeth were chattering, for crying out loud! The last time I remember being that cold I was in Kentucky is the middle of March for spring break. I was spending the night with one of my Clearwater sisters in Lexington. She lived in a house with no central heating system and my naive self had packed a tank top and a pair of gym shorts to sleep in.

I knew that if I turned on my heat, my house wouldn't heat up quick enough to do anything for me by the time I dried my hair and put on a bit of make-up.

I needed heat. Immediately.

Ladies and gentleman, may I introduce you to the Poor Girls' Central Heating Unit...




Yes, that is my hair dryer.

No, I'm totally not joking.

Ladies, haven't you ever noticed the heat wave when you walk back into your bathroom after drying your hair? I closed the door to my bathroom, turned my hair dryer on high, and by the time I was dressed and my eye make-up was done, it was nice and comfy in the bathroom. The hum of the dryer was soothing and I soon stopped shivering.

I've talked with multiple girlfriends who are also single and loving this transition time from college/our college town/circle of friends to our independent, grown-up selves. The little things that we never thought we would learn or experiment with are mind blowing. I can now install and uninstall blinds, fearlessly work a power drill, live on a severe budget, and get along just fine by myself.

I can now add "enjoy heat on a budget" to that list!

1 comment:

  1. Speaking from experience, enjoy these years!! I lived alone in a tiny one bedroom apartment in Raleigh for five years before I got married, and I learned so many valuable lessons. From budgeting to home improvement to relieving boredrom to knowing what time of day to go to Wal-Mart safely by myself to...well, the list is endless!

    There may be moments where you wonder what your purpose in life is, or when you will find Mr. Right, or why your current situation is so hard, or how you're ever going to survive another day in this kind of budget. In those moments, try to smile and thank God for the season. I didn't do that enough, but looking back - those years made me more prepared to be who I am today. These years will shape you too.

    ReplyDelete