Friday, November 30, 2012

Deck the Halls!

I love Pinterest. I really, really do. Most days that I sub, I find myself meandering through the millions of pins and get inspiration for my next project. When I moved into my Cute Little House, I opened a "Holidayyyy" board to categorize my inspiration for the upcoming festivities.

Except for one more possible project, my Cute Little House is now Christmas ready!


The front window in the kitchen. There used to be f'ugly blinds here that didn't even fit; now glitter and Christmas ornaments sparkle in the sunshine while I'm cooking!


MY VERY FIRST CHRISTMAS TREE!

I have never had a real Christmas tree in my adult life. In my first apartment, The Oasis, we had an eighteen-inch toy tree that sat on our kitchen bar.
My senior year of college while I was living at The Apple, my roommate Megan had a three foot Christmas tree. Turns out her dad had hacked off the top of a real one and brought it to our house. It smelled so sweet!
Last year, at The Manor, we never put up a Christmas tree. I remember we had a "roommate meeting" regarding Christmas decorations but a tree never happened. We put up twinkle lights on the mantle and hung stockings, but a tree never happened.

My parents have done the unthinkable and purchased an artifical tree this year. It's scrawny and you can see the pole where the branches come out. It hurts my heart. I'm currently in mourning.

When I realized that this meant that a real, green, gorgeous, sweet-smelling Christmas tree would not be in my life this year (I wasn't planning on going overboard with decorations), I was devastated. At just the right moment, the family that I nanny for called and asked if I wanted them to get me a Christmas tree. They have the tradition of going up to the mountains for Thanksgiving and chopping their tree, and decided I needed one, too. I asked for one that was "short and fat." This baby is perfect!

My dad graciously came over and helped me set up my tree (since they have gone artificial, guess who gets their tree stand -- I do love free items!). After he drilled the hole in the bottom, we carried it in; his first sentence was, "Get rid of half of this furniture. Immediately." The bottom of this thing is ginormous. It takes up about 1/6 of my living room. I'm not complaining, though, because I have my own real, green, gorgeous, sweet-smelling Christmas tree!



I decided to go with a red and silver theme; classic and reppin' the Pack!

While perusing Pinterest one day, I came across an ornament wreath. It was so sparkly and inviting that I knew that I had found my Christmas wreath for that year. I headed over to my local Dollar Tree and cleaned out their supply of red, gold, and silver Christmas ball ornaments. Twelve hot glue sticks and four hours later...TAA DAA!

Front-door Christmas wreath
My favorite decoration, I have to admit, is my dining room table centerpiece. During my adventure to Dollar Tree, I stocked up on craft supplies for this too. This entire piece cost me $8 + tax. I can handle that!


The best part of this? I get three more wine glasses come New Years!


                                      

No, this is not my family, but I thought this was too cute not to share. I love the Novogratz family; my cousin Angie introduced me to their show and ever since I am a loyal fan. They are a husband-and-wife interior design team with seven kids. On their show, Home by Novogratz, they mix modern and vintage to create chic homes with vivid colors and fun inspiration.

This picture popped up on my Instagram feed the other week and I almost peed my pants from giggling so hard. Their Christmas card theme? Caught Mommy kissing Santa! I love it!

Merry Christmas, y'all!

1 comment:

  1. Pause. I was just checking in on your sweet blog and saw that I'm on your "daily reads" list! woah. honored. obvi :)

    ReplyDelete