Monday, April 29, 2013

22 Days!

I am completely willing to make a fool out of myself in front of my children if it means that they will learn something that day.

I have used face paint, silly string, water balloons, word games, relay races, and scavenger hunts to get my children out of their seats and into the wonderful land of English class.

I decided to start incorporating more props and costumes into my lesson plans last year when I was working at Wildcat Academy. That was the first time that my feather boa made an appearance into my classroom.

To get my kids invested in our SAT vocabulary lists, I have them put together quick skits. They are given four or five words in groups and fifteen minutes to come up with a scenario and dialogue that includes their respective SAT words and definitions.

I begin my lesson by asking them to do something I do every day: channel their inner diva! I put on my Jackie O sunglasses and toss on my boa and my babies know I mean business! It gets a few giggles out of them but I know they're paying attention. It hypes them up a bit to really want to match my level of enthusiasm about our group work for the day.

My inner diva was able to conquer today and last Friday (our academic kids are on an A/B day schedule) leaving only 22 days left for me to spend with them!



No comments:

Post a Comment